My visit to Homestead, Florida recently led me to a famous fruit stand, Robert is Here. If you have never been there, you must go there for their fresh fruits and their shakes. Their shakes are amazingly delicious. While you wait for your shake to be made, browse the store. They sell locally grown fruits and vegetables. They also have salsas, dressings, nuts and even sunflowers.
So what did I buy? I bought key limes. You see my younger son and husband are huge key lime pie fans. In fact, they are always in search of the perfect key lime pie. I decided that I would make it for them.
When life gives you Key Limes… make Key Lime pie.
Here are my Key Limes and my mouthwatering pie! Recipe follows.
It is an easy pie to make!
For the filling:
3 large egg yolks
1 (14 oz.) can of sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup fresh squeezed key lime juice
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 9 inch graham cracker crust (Make your own or store bought)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a bowl, whisk together sweetened condensed milk and egg yolks. Slowly stir in the lime juice, lime zest, and cream . Stir together and pour into your pie crust.
4. Remove pie from oven and allow to cool. Once cooled, keep in the refrigerator until ready to top with whipped cream.
5. Top with whipped cream to taste and a slice of keylime.
Whipped Cream Topping
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon confectioners sugar
- In a large bowl or mixer. I use my KA. Whip cream until stiff peaks are just about to form.
- Beat in vanilla and sugar until peaks form.
- Pour whipped cream into a pastry bag with your tip of choice.
To be honest, my key lime pie was pretty darn good. My family loved it!
The key to a delicious key lime, use fresh key limes.