Here’s a delicious recipe for one of my favorite desserts.
Tres Leches Cake with Mango Rum Topping
1 8 inch square baking pan
Vegetable oil for greasing the pan
4 large eggs
1 cup of sugar
2/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups whole milk
1 1/2 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 12 ounce can evaporated milk
1 14 ounce can sweet condensed milk
3 tablespoons of dark rum
2 large ripe mangoes
3 tablespoons of sugar
1 cup heavy whipping cream
ground cinnamon for sprinkling (if you like)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease the 8 inch square baking pan with the vegetable oil. Line the bottom with parchment paper.
2. Make the cake: Beat eggs and sugar in a large bowl with a mixer until pale and slightly thick. Slowly beat in the melted butter, then beat in the vanilla and 1/4 cup of whole milk.
3. Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Sift the flour mixture over the egg mixture. Gently fold the ingredients together with a spatula. Batter will be thick.
4. Transfer the batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
5. Whisk the remaining 2 cups of whole milk, evaporated milk, condensed milk and rum into a bowl.
6. Pierce the entire warm cake with a fork. Pour the milk mixture over the top of cake.
7. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour to overnight.
Make the Mango Rum Topping
1. Peel, pit and slice up the mangoes. Puree 1/2 of the mangoes in a blender with 2 tablespoons of sugar. Fold that mixture into the remaining mango pieces in a bowl. Add a tablespoon of rum (to taste).
Make the Whipped Cream Topping
1. Beat the heavy cream and the remaining tablespoon of sugar in a mixture until soft peaks form.
2. Spread the whipped cream over the cake.
3. To serve, slice the cake, sprinkle cinnamon (if desired) and serve the mango rum topping on the side.