As a baker, I always have baked goods in my kitchen. Sometimes the goodies are for customers, other times I am simply testing new recipes.
I was inspired to make an Italian Cream Cake after reading Sempre by J.M. Darhower.
Here is my easy Italian Cream Cake Recipe. I think Carmine will approve. 🙂
You can make this shape using round cake pans too. I used 3 9 x 5 loaf pans.
1 box White Cake Mix with pudding (any brand will do)
1 1/4 cup Buttermilk
3 large eggs
1/4 cup Vegetable oil
1 package flaked coconut 120z
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup of rum
3 9 x 5 inch loaf pans
2 8 oz creme cheese packages (softened)
2 sticks of unsalted butter (softened)
4 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup chopped pecans
Directions (Preheat oven to 350 degrees)
1. Beat cake mix, buttermilk, eggs and oil with electric mixer for 2 minutes at medium speed.
2. Fold in the coconut flakes and pecans
3. Pour even amounts of cake mixture into each of the loaf pans.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 17 -18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
5. Cool cakes for about 30 minutes
6. Sprinkle rum on each cake layer and allow the rum to soak into cake (15 minutes)
7. Spread frosting over layer 1 and assemble cake. Frost over each layer. Top the final layer with frosting and pecans.
8. Refrigerate cake for at least 2 hours. Cake tastes best cold.
9. Serve and enjoy!
1. Using the stand mixer, mix 2 sticks of butter and cream cheese together.
2. Add vanilla extract
3. Slowly add powdered sugar to the mix
4. Ready to spread (refrigerate extra frosting)