Garbanzo Frito Recipe
This is a dish that my mother and grandmother used to make while I was growing up. I have taken their recipe and added my own twist. Although it is called Garbanzo Frito, there is no frying involved. I hope you enjoy making and eating it as much as I do. From my kitchen to yours.
1/4 cup olive oil
2 small Spanish Chorizo’s cut into thin rounds
1/2 lbs. smoked pork ham or Virginia ham cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 onion chopped
1 red bell pepper, 1 yellow pepper or 1 orange pepper chopped into small pieces
6 cloves garlic minced
2 cans 16 ounces Chickpeas/ Garbanzos (drained)
1 can 8 oz. tomato sauce
8 oz. water (use tomato sauce can)
1 box (10 oz) frozen spinach (thaw for 1 hour before cooking)
1 teaspoon ground cumin or add to taste
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
salt to taste
1/4 pound Manchego cheese (shredded)
Ready to cook?
1. Heat oil in pan on medium to high heat.
Add the smoked ham pieces.
2. When ham has browned a bit, add onion, peppers and garlic.
Cook about 7 minutes. (Lower heat to medium)
3. Add sliced Spanish chorizo and stir.
Once the color has distributed on pan (reddish color) add the chickpeas. Stir.
4. Add the pepper, cumin (to taste) and stir.
5. Add the tomato sauce and water. I use the same can to add the water.
Raise the heat to high and cook for about 20 minutes. Stir as needed.
6. Shred the spinach into thin strips and add to the garbanzo mixture.
Cook for another 10 minutes.
7. Taste and add salt as needed.
8. Shred Manchego cheese.
9. Serve and top with Manchego cheese.
10. You can add this to rice or serve as is. I prefer it as is.