One of my favorite salads is a Cuban Style Chicken Salad. My grandmother made it best. I’ve tried to recreate hers. Here is my version. Enjoy!
Cuban Style Chicken Salad Recipe
2 lbs white chicken meat- fully cooked (You can use a rotisserie chicken)
1 cup tender canned sweet peas. Well drained.
1 cup chopped celery (finely chopped)
4 hard boiled eggs, chopped
12 Spanish olives stuffed with peppers, cut in halves
3/4 cup salted almonds, chopped
1/2 tsp. vinegar
1 ¼ cups light mayonnaise
3 granny smith apples, peeled & chopped
1 small can of sweet pimentos
1 tbs. lemon juice
1. First, sprinkle the chopped apples pieces with lemon juice. (Set them aside or in the refrigerator)
2. Chop up the chicken into small bite size pieces.
3. Combine the following ingredients in a large bowl:
sweet peas, almonds, celery, eggs, olives vinegar, mayonnaise, apples and chicken
4. Add a dash of salt (to taste)
5. Mix all of the ingredients together gently.
5. Garnish the completed salad with red pimiento strips.
6. Refrigerate for a couple of hours. This salad tastes best cold.
7. Enjoy with soda crackers.